We've come up a fun activity to teach kids how to recreate 3 constellations, plus a bespoke one we invented ourselves! First, let's learn a little more about the history of stargazing and where constellations came from.
Stargazing has been a favorite pastime of mankind for millennia and Crazy Aaron's® strives to encourage that fascination with Thinking Putty® colors that capture the magic of starlight. Our glow in the dark Cosmic® collection is inspired by Crazy Aaron's lifelong love of astronomy and all things space with names like Northern Lights, Milky Way and Star Dust. The unique speckled glow of the putty is like looking at the night sky.
Astronomers, Astrologers and Theologians through the ages have named, classified and defined the stars, creating systems for organizing them. One of these systems is star constellations. Constellations are groups of stars that form an imaginary outline or pattern on the celestial sphere. Typically you'll find shapes like animals, creatures, mythological characters (ex- Orion) or objects (ex - the Big Digger). Different cultures and countries have adopted their own constellations, but most of what we see and learn about today was internationally recognized in the early 20th century with 48 Western constellations based in Geek mythology and 12 zodiac constellations.
- Cosmic Thinking Putty
- Glow Charger® (included with purchase)
- Free Crazy Aaron's Constellation Chart. Download Here
- Hole Puncher and/or Scissors
- Grab your Cosmic Thinking Putty of choice with included Glow Charger
- Download & Print the Crazy Aaron's Constellation Chart
- Using the scissors, cut the individual cards out
- Pick your favorite constellation and use your scissors and or hole puncher to cut out the circles on the card. IMPORTANT: cut the circles only
- Roll your Cosmic Thinking Putty into a ball and press down to flatten it. Make sure the cutout "stars" fit within the putty disc and place the card on top
- Using the Glow Charger, direct the UV light into the cutout circles or star to charge the glow
- Quickly remove the card and turn off the lights, using the Glow Charger to connect the star field and reveal the constellation shape underneath
- Repeat with each card and try our custom Crazy Aaron's constellation too